Thursday, March 14, 2013

Don't Forget To Eat Your Brussels Sprouts

And also don't forget that Brussels is ALWAYS capitalized. And it also always has an s on the end and I learned that from spell check thankyouverymuch. Apparently aside from being a veggie, its also a city in Belgium. Fun fact for your day there.
 
On to the point of the post... Who here likes Brussels sprouts? I had never even had them till earlier this year, I started eating healthy and thought I'd give them a try. I like to roast a lot of my veggies (sweet potatoes, green beans, asparagus, etc.) so when I picked these up I figured I'd roast them.
 
I Googled a recipe on how long to roast them and how to prep them.
I've always heard that Brussels sprouts are ewww so I went ahead and made up my own recipe and just followed the prepping/cooking directions.
 
 
 
 
1. Get yourself some good old, strait off the pigs ass, BACON!!! Because dammit kids, bacon makes everything good. Can I get an amen? I use two strips, and cut the strips into pieces. Then fry that shit, but don't burn it, it's still gotta cook in the oven. You can remove the bacon from the pan but DO NOT discard the grease... you're gonna need it to rub all over your sprouts.
 
2. I don't even wash these puppies. Start by cutting the stem stub off. Layers of leaves may fall off, this is okay. Discard the top layer that falls off and keep the rest.
 
3. Depending on the size of the sprout, I halve (small ones) or quarter (large ones) them.
 
4. Spread the sprouts on a pan lined with foil or just sprayed with Pam, your choice. I use peppered bacon, but if I happened to use plain bacon then this is where I'd pepper the shit outta the sprouts. Stir in the bacon, and then add bacon grease. I start with 1 T and mix it all together until sprouts are lightly coated. You are using bacon grease in place of the olive oil you would usually use when roasting veggies.
 
5. Pop em in the oven at 450 for 20 minutes and stir them half way through. Wa Lah... enjoy. And now try to refrain from making them every night :)
 
 
 
Some of you health nuts might be screaming right now about the bacon, and the bacon fat. The way I see it, this is not the worst thing I can shovel into my pie hole. The saturated fat content of what you will eat is not going to kill you. I eat healthy most of the time, so I'm not trippin over the little bit of bacon here. Like I said I use two slices, and the amount I make feeds four people. That's like half a slice of bacon per person for all the non-mathematicians out there.
 
If you try this recipe, come back and tell me what you thought. And how did you change it?
Until then,
Peace, Love, & Brussels sprouts!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment